Thrifty shoppers know that the perfect time to shop for seasonal clothes are transition months. September is the transition from summer to fall. If you’ve noticed malls, boutiques, and online stores are usually a season ahead. Retailers advertise transition months in four ways.
- Lookbooks: Today, designers add lookbooks to their websites. These lookbooks showcase that season’s trends, essentials, and hot pieces for the season. These lookbooks usually appear a month before the season it represents.
- Sales, Sales, Sales: During a season, several sales will occur to filter out that season stock for next seasons looks. Anything that is not sold will slowly make their way to the 50 percent, 75 percent and clearance racks.
- Store Displays: Store displays are usually a season ahead. By October, most stores should have their Christmas and winter displays ready to go. It seems odd considering Christmas is two months away. Today, people begin Christmas shopping early to beat the Christmas rush.
- Circulars: Local newspapers, emails, and promotional mail are usually used as a last resort to remove last season’s pieces from the floor and introduce this season hottest looks.
September is unique because it’s not summer and it does not quite fall either. In fact, autumn doesn’t start until Sept. 22. The month of September is usually used for Back to School sales. The Back to School wardrobe is a mixture of summer and fall clothing. September is the perfect time to do a few things.
- Purchase Clearance summer essentials: This is a good time to purchase the basics because most of them will be gone by October. The price may be cheaper in October, but they’ll be less to choose from. Keep your eye out for shorts, tanks, dresses, basic tees, sandals, sunglasses and handbags.
- Purchase winter basics: Some winter pieces can be purchased in September. Since they are not in demand, their prices are marked down. For example, I was able to purchase a black formfitting South Pole jacket from Boscov’s for 75 percent off. When I bought it, it was hot and humid outside. Thinking ahead, I saved myself time and money.
- Take advantage of September sales: If you see something you want on sale, it’s OK to go for it. You don’t have to wait until December to buy it. The month of September is full of all kinds of sales. The waiting game is risky. If you really want it, get it. Otherwise, they might run out of your size.
Overall, I hope you’ve enjoyed your summer. Take advantage of this warm weather while you can. Soon you’ll be able to enjoy the fall foliage. Later, you’ll skate through a winter wonderland. For now, enjoy the sun!
Are these tips useful?
Do you have any suggestions?